The Balanced Plate
A healthy diet means combining foods from the five food groups and should include:
- plenty of starchy and fibrous foods like bread, pasta and potatoes
- at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day
- some meat, fish or alternatives like nuts and beans
- some milk and dairy foods like cheese and yoghurt
- limit the amount of fatty, sugary foods and drinks like crisps, biscuits, cakes and fizzy drinks
Eating a healthy diet doesn’t mean you can’t eat the foods you enjoy. The most important thing is to eat lots of different foods, and know how much of each is good for you.